Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Faith, Hope and Promises - Thankful on the Bipolar Express

Hope keeps us going; Promises keep hope alive; “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” Hebrews 11:1 NLT

 But what do we do when hope seems gone? What do we do when the promises that keep hope alive are elusive? What then?

Could it be that a thankful heart is a key to keeping hope alive?

Author Ellen Thomas shares with us her unique perspective on living a thankful life, as a mom to a child with Asperger’s syndrome:

~~

Thankful on the Bipolar Express

The power to live doesn’t come from the rule of law or our unalienable rights. The real power comes from the promises we hold on to every day. It begins when we wake; we count on the promise that the sun will rise. When we go to work, we are motivated because of the promise of payday. As our children grow we expect to see them fill out the form and function of their inherent potential.

Our power to live comes from counting on these promises; we find strength in knowing that these things will be. Not so being a parent of a child with bipolar disorder and Asperger’s syndrome.

There are no promises that my daughter Grace will get out of bed to face a day sure to be filled with sensory overloads. And there have been times I wasn’t sure if I would find her at the hospital, police station or even the morgue. The promise of the sunrise brings me no power, or peace.

My power comes from my thankful heart. Thankful for what, you ask? I am grateful for being entrusted with the care and nurturing of a child who is fearfully and wonderfully made;  Thankful for the family and friends who truly understand what I am going through; And thankful I don’t have too much time for the ones who don’t.

I am eternally thankful to my daughter’s birth parents for giving her life and for choosing my husband Jim and me to raise her; I’m grateful that my experiences with Grace have taught me to take each day as it comes -- I take time to marvel at ducks on a lake, or squirrels running from tree to tree.

My heartfelt appreciation expands each time my daughter exceeds her potential; I am amazed, and my surprise surprises me.

I am powerful because an evaluation of my child, a label, a bully’s unkind words, or a school’s indifference does not limit the heart that beats inside me. Rather my heart races with the excitement of believing that the best is yet to come…Promise.
~ Ellen Thomas
Ellen received her Bachelor of Science Degree in Special Education 12 years before adopting Grace, who is the catalyst for her book; THE BIPOLAR EXPRESS: One Christian Woman’s Life Journey In The Company Of A Child With Bipolar Disorder And Asperger’s Syndrome.

To learn more about Ellen and her book, visit www.ellenthomasauthor.com

~~

“Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion.
Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception.
Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude.
Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road.” 
~ John Henry Jowett

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul; and sings the tune without the words, and never stops—at all. And sweetest in the Gale is heard, and sore must be the storm; that could abash the little Bird that kept so many warm.”
~ Emily Dickinson

“You are my hope oh God, you are my confidence”
~ Psalm 71:5

Talk To You Soon,
Connie
Take The Thank You Challenge!
ORDER your book today @ www.thankyouchallenge.org




No comments:

Post a Comment